Thursday, December 07, 2006

Week 6

15.

A lot of this technology is a bit above my head but I feel that it will be a good thing for the library service to pursue. I visited the Santa Monica Library and their website was terrific. Dvd and television, movie nights, playstation games and lots of book groups and a teen website (I wonder how they cope with their teenagers and behaviours). I feel strongly about the personal feel of a library and the connection that we have with our borrowers, they enjoy it and so do we. I also feel for the elderly and the not so elderly (thinking of my mum) who quite honestly will not like any change, and yes we will ease them into it and teach them, I know all that, but........ the personal quality is just as important. I find with the information technology I've experienced over the last month has even eclipsed my teenagers. I feel I have something over them (for a change!)
Here are some quotes that caught my attention:

"can be equally disastrous when a profession fails to acknowledge and adapt to radical, fundamental change in the marketplace it serves" Rick Anderson Director of Resource Acquisition,University of Nevada, Reno Libraries

"One of the principles I would add to the Library 2.0 meme is that “the Library is human” because it makes the library a social and emotionally engaging center for learning and experience" Michael Stephens Librarian, Blogger

Thank you and good night.

No comments: